Sun 10 Dec 2017 12:02

Sat 9 Dec 2017, 14:00

Newton Abbot RFC

34 - 48

(HT 14-27)

Bournemouth RFC

Bournemouth RFC

Season 2017/2018 • 31st League Season

South West Premier • Level 5

Newton Abbot (2nd) v Bournemouth (3rd)

Saturday, 9 December, KO 2pm at Rackerhayes

Result: Newton Abbot 34/4t4c2p v 48/7t5cp Bournemouth
HT: 14/2t2c v 27/4t2cp

Bournemouth prevail in an enthralling encounter

Bournemouth: Grant Hancox/5cp, Harry Davis, Danny Kirkpatrick/t, Scott Chislett, Dan Stewart/2t, Adam Davies/t, Sam Hardcastle/t, Tom Napier/t, Alan Manning, Luca Firetto, Adam MacDonald, Mike Treloar, Jack Henning, David McDonald, Joe Rees/C. Substitutes: Alexander Bennett/t, Pat Fraser, Alex Sutherland. Touch Judge: Gavin Fisher. DoR: Will Croker. Coach: Jon Sanchez. Manager: Andrew Evans. Medical Team: Harri Lawrance. Conker Gin Man of the Match: Joe Rees. Records: Scott Chislett extends his own league record to 174 starts as inside centre to 174. Grant Hancox extends his own league record to 95 penalty goals. Sam Hardcastle extends his own league records to: 307 starts (294 as scrum-half), 948 points and 183 tries. Jack Hennings extends his league record to 92 starts as blindside flanker. Joe Rees extends his own league record to 74 starts as No 8. Milestones: Grant Hancox passes 650 (659) points in his league career. Jack Hennings plays for the 150th time in the league. Danny Kirkpatrick scores for the first time. Tom Napier scores for the first time in the league. Some Rugby Trivia for Your Delectation: Scott Chislett has played in every league match Bournemouth have played against Newton Abbot (eleven in total), stretching back to 2010/2011.

Referee: James Milliner. Adviser: David Rose.

Two changes to the back line that played Brixham last week. Danny Kirkpatrick, coming off the bench, replaced the unavailable Freddie Gleadowe at outside centre. The returning Sam Hardcastle replaced Sammy Veneroso at scrum-half. The forwards were unchanged. On the bench Alex Sutherland replaced Danny Kirkpatrick.

The weather was fine but overcast with little wind. Underfoot it was dry with a good covering of grass. Pretty well perfect for a game of rugby football.

Bournemouth (Adam Davies) kicked off from right to left as viewed from the stand and to their right.

My loyal readers will be glad to know I can only give a brief report as it’s late at night (Saturday) and I will otherwise occupied over the next three days so no time to give a fuller exposé. Suffice to say a thrilling match with much end-to-end stuff by two sides determined to play open running rugby. Newton’s Matt Jess soon confirmed his formidable reputation by taking an inside pass from his fellow centre after Kevin Dennis made a strong run down the right to score under the posts. Fly-half Rob Avery-Wright, who was to kick all of six goals, had no difficulty in giving the home side a 7-nil lead after five minutes. However we have Sam Hardcastle and the scrum-half, just a couple or so minutes later, finished off some excellent preparatory work by the grunts by running around the defence and touching down near enough to the posts to make full back Grant Hancox’s task of tying up the scores at 7-all, albeit via the inside of the far post, that little bit easier. Bournemouth took advantage of captain Dean Avery’s absence to take the lead when the hooker was yellow carded for illegally preventing what seemed to be an almost certain score in the left hand corner. Bournemouth opted for a scrum on the Newton 5m. Joe Rees at the back fed Hardcastle and a quick pass left down the short side saw left wing Dan Stewart over in the corner for his second score in successive matches for a 12-7 lead halfway through the half. Bournemouth maintained the pressure and perhaps should have scored a couple of minutes later after blindside flanker Jack Hennings had made a great break taking play deep into the Newton 22m. However a scrambling defence stopped the score, turned the ball over and there was Newton breaking out in exciting fashion and Rob Avery-Wright finishing off some great support play by scoring in the lefthand corner. He then kicked and excellent goal to put his side back in the lead at 14-12. Bournemouth struck back immediately when right wing Harry Davis did well to recover the restart. The ball came back left where fly-half Adam Davies danced his way through the defence to open up the chance for outside centre Danny Kirkpatrick to go over for his first score for the club wide out on the left. Hancox kicked an excellent goal from his ‘wrong side’ and Bournemouth lead 19-14. With less than five minutes of the half left, Davies’s deft pass back inside to Stewart opened up the gap for the winger to burst through to score his second of the match. Hancox pushed his effort across the face of the goal but Bournemouth were going home with at least a try-scoring bonus point and had stretched the lead to 24-12. More Bournemouth pressure yielded the penalty and Hancox closed the half with his third goal of the afternoon and Bournemouth went into their half-time huddle 27-14 up.

Rob Avery-Wright was soon in action in the second half when his penalty reduced the arrears to leave the score at 17-27. Bournemouth were fortunate not to concede a score more or less from the restart when the dangerous Jess broke deep into the Bournemouth half supported by left wing Callum Gill back when the ball came back right with the Bournemouth defence at full stretch a knock-on saved the visitor’s ‘bacon’. When Rob Avery-Wright kicked the ‘straight out’ Bournemouth had a line-out on their left hand side. Davies made a searing break and there was Alexander Bennett, on as replacement for openside flanker David McDonald, in support and the newcomer had the pace to finish off the move by scoring in the left hand corner. Hancox kicked his fourth goal of the afternoon and Bournemouth had a handsome lead at 34-17 some ten minutes into the half. Rob Avery-Wright then showed off his fine kicking skills with a well-judged kick right to land the ball in Kyle Browne’s arms and the winger was over in the corner. The fly-half then completed this little cameo and the lead looked decidedly less handsome at 34-24. More or less from the restart Bournemouth were a little fortunate to pick up a miss pass as Newton looked to run the ball out of defence and loosehead Tom Napier scored unopposed right of the posts. Hancox kicked the goal and that handsome lead had been given a face lift at 41-24. However there was nearly half-an-hour of the half to go and there was no room for complacency in the face of a side determined to put matters right. Kirkpatrick was yellow carded when Newton were pressing hard for a score and having opted for a scrum just 5 metres out the ball was whipped right pretty smartly and Jess was over. Rob Avery-Wright did his bit and the score had a less inviting visage of 41-31. Newton threw every thing at the Bournemouth defence and to their credit the visitors refused to buckle. A penalty was awarded for a high tackle and Newton again opted for a scrum just five metres out. When Bournemouth were penalized at the scrum and with the game going into ‘injury’ time Newton opted to kick for goal. From in front of the posts Rob Avery-Wright kicked his sixth goal of the afternoon and Newton were within losing bonus point distance at 34-41. Play, in this time added on for injury, proved to be pretty fraught with Bournemouth determined to hold onto their advantage and Newton wanting to at least tie up the score. Bournemouth seemed almost certain to score down their right with some excellent, patient ‘keep ball’ rugby but when just metres short of the line ‘coughed up’ the ball and Newton immediately strove to break out. The ball was turned over and there was Davies, typically taking advantage of the broken play, to weave his way through the defence once again and to have the necessary pace to outstrip any cover to score deep in the left hand corner. Hancox, who seems to relish the challenge of these touchline kicks, added the two points to make the score 48-34 and take the game beyond Newton’s reach. Bournemouth secured the restart and, having checked with the referee, Hardcastle kicked the ball to the safety of the touch to end proceedings for the afternoon.

Bournemouth have now won six out of the last seven games scoring 303 points but have remained third for the last six games. We now have the same number of points as Newton Abbot split only by points difference. With Cleve slipping up at Ivybridge they drop to fifth and Maidenhead with a thumping win over resurgent Weston-super-Mare move into fourth place.

Our next home match is in the New Year when we entertain Weston-super-Mare on Jan 6, KO is 2pm don’t forget. Next week, the 16th, we start the second half of the season by playing Bracknell at Lilyhill Park.

Doug Warren

Social Media