Fri 16 Mar 2018 11:27

Sat 10 Mar 2018, 15:00

Hornets RFC

36 - 27

(HT 22-17)

Bournemouth RFC

Bournemouth RFC

Season 2017/2018 • 31st League Season

South West Premier • Level 5

Hornets (14th) v Bournemouth (2nd)

Saturday, 10 March 2018, KO 2.30pm at Hutton Moor

Result: Hornets 36/5t4cp v 27/3t3c2p Bournemouth
HT: 22/3t2cp v 17/2t2cp

Hornets’s sting comes as a shock to Bournemouth

Bournemouth: Grant Hancox/C, Harry Davis, Danny Kirkpatrick, Alex Sutherland, Wyn Roberts, Johnny O’Hehir, Sam Hardcastle, Stephen Jenkinson. Pat Fraser, Luca Firetto, Adam MacDonald, Jack Hennings, Matt Warwick, Richard Sharp, Alan Manning. Substitutes: Conrad Carkeet, Freddie Gleadowe, Ryan Hughes. Touch Judge: Gavin Fisher. DoR: Will Croker. Coach: Jon Sanchez. Medical Team: Steve Trapp. League Debut: Conrad Carkeet. Records: Sam Hardcastle extended his own league records to 315 starts (302 as scrum-half). Milestones: Adam MacDonald scores for the first time in the league.

Referee: Zerren Bell. Referee Adviser: Tony Bowers.

Bournemouth had another revamp of their back line following their visit to Lydney. Danny Kirkpatrick was moved from inside centre to outside centre in place of Alex Everett-Bolter and Alex Sutherland returns to replace Danny. On the left wing, Wyn Roberts, who returned to action at Lydney, replaced Dan Stewart on the left wing. In the front: Stephen Jenkinson replaced the injured Tom Napier at loosehead; tighthead Alan Manning was moved to No 8 in place of the injured Jo Rees and Luca Firetto replaced Alan. In the second row Mike Treloar was replaced by blindside Jack Hennings and Jack was replaced by Matt Warwick, making his first appearance for the 1st XV 19 December 2015 against Cleve. On the bench: Colt Conrad Carkeet was making his league debut; Ryan Hughes was making his first 1st XV appearance since 16 September against Weston-super-Mare.

It was a beautiful sunny day with blue skies such a contrast to some of the awful weather we have been experiencing lately.

The Hornets kicked off from left to right as viewed from the stand and to their right.

Hornets got off to a lively start and it was slightly against the run of play that fly-half O'Hehir was able to pin the Hornets back when a dangerous run by the full-back was ended when Hornets were penalized for going over the top. From a 5m lineout the ball was released left. Hennings was held up short of the line but Sutherland cut back against the flow and crashed over right of the posts. Hancox kicked the goal and Bournemouth were on their way at 7-nil after five minutes. Buoyed by this promising start, a lively Bournemouth threatened at the restart but a kick clear was returned with interest by the Hornets full-back but Bournemouth managed to turn the ball over and released the ball left. An O'Hehir miss pass put left wing Roberts into space but in trying to out flank the defence a foot in touch frustrated an almost certain score. From the lineout Hornets went left and kicked further left and Bournemouth had a lineout inside their own 10m. Forced back by aggressive forwards a clearance kick went 'straight out' and Hornets had an attacking lineout just outside the Bournemouth 22m. Going right Bournemouth were penalized for being off their feet and Humphris, the quick witted fly-half, seeing the Bournemouth defence to his left was not organised whipped the ball left and winger Mick Somers was over the corner without a hand being laid on him. The fly-half pushed his kick across the face of the goal to leave the score at 7-5 after some ten minutes play. Bournemouth were penalized at the restart for reasons that weren't obvious to your correspondent but Hornets opted for a scrum. Hornets attacked strongly and the Bournemouth defence had to be on their guard to keep them out. Full-back Hancox did recover a Hornets and shaking off a tackle got Roberts away but the danger man was well marshalled and forced into touch. From the lineout Hornets again set up a lively attack and coming back right the Hornets’s lock Jackson was not going to be denied and he forced his way over. The Humphris kicked an excellent goal and Hornets had taken what can only be described as a well-deserved lead at 12-7 after 20 minutes play. The Hornets backs, dare I say, were really buzzing especially their full-back Carter being a constant threat. It didn’t help Bournemouth’s cause that the restart went straight out but they managed to recover the situation when Hornets were penalized. However they were in turn penalized and the Hornets’s fly-half found touch beyond the Bournemouth 10m. Hornets went left from the line-out but Bournemouth turned the ball over and where lock Hennings made a dent and Hornets were penalized in trying to stop the threat. From outside the 22m, Hancox kicked the goal and Bournemouth were now just two points behind at 10-12 after half-an-hour. Right from the restart, Bournemouth struck again capitalizing on lock MacDonald’s break. The ball was whipped smartly right and right wing Davis rounded off a fine three-quarter move by crashing over in the corner. Hancox added the two points with a fine kick and the visitors were back in the lead at 17-12. Hornets promptly responded when having recovered the restart and taking play into the Bournemouth 22m they were awarded a penalty and Humphris kicked the goal to peg Bournemouth back at 15-17 with some five minutes of the half left. Bournemouth came right back at Hornets from the restart and Hennings was stopped just outside the 22m. Hardcastle had a dart as Bournemouth worked hard to retain the ball in the face of a defence that was strong throughout the afternoon. Eventually a knock on gave Hornets a breather. They kicked clear from the scrum but Hancox’s kick back was promptly run back by the dangerous Carter and with the defence scattered to winds recovering from the scrum the full-back carved his way through to score. Humphris did his bit and the home side turned round 22-17 to the good.

The Hornets clearance kick at the restart was fielded by Hardcastle and Hornets were penalized on the half-way line as Bournemouth attacked first right then bakck left. Hancox’s kick at goal missed. From the drop out, Hornets had a line-out on the half-way line when Hennings was forced into touch. Going right Hornets were penalized and Sutherland pinned them back to inside their 22m. From the line-out going left Bournemouth were awarded a penalty in front of the posts and Hancox kicked his fourth goal of the afternoon to reduce the arrears to just two points at 20-22 after five minutes play in the second half. Despite Hornets losing centre Francis to a yellow card for a high tackle Bournemouth couldn’t break down the Hornets defence. Hancox’s kick at goal from the resulting penalty hitting the post and debutant Carkeet’s yellow card for a tip tackle didn’t help matters either. Hornets took advantage of Bournemouth’s shortage when their forwards drove over from a line-out. Humphris stretched the score to a two-score difference and Bournemouth trailed 20-29 with ten minutes to go. Despite some promising Bournemouth play they couldn’t find a way through a resolute defence. From an advantageous position inside the Hornets’s half, a penalty saw Humphris finding touch inside the Bournemouth 22m. Retaining possession the Hornets’s forwards battered the Bournemouth line and eventually lock Harris forced his way over for Humphris to increase the margin to an impossible three-score lead at 36-20. Bournemouth did strive to the end and camped on their opponents’s line where two yellow cards reflected Hornets’s desperation to defend and not concede a score. In injury time, there was a slightly anti-climax feel about Adam MacDonald’s first score in the league and when Hancox sent the ball between the posts referee Zerren Bell brought proceedings to an end.

Our precarious hold on second place has slipped and we dropped to fourth, swapping places with Maidenhead. We entertain Ivybridge next week in the match postponed from the 3rd. Please note KO is 3pm. Please note also as result of this league game Saturday, our Hampshire Cup Final clash has been put back to Sat 31 March. KO I assume will be 3pm but please check before travelling. The game is to be played at Havant (Hooks Lane).

Doug Warren

Social Media